New interview with 5 managers on managing writers...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New interview with 5 managers on managing writers...

Here's the link to a roundtable style discussion on what managers at Underground, Art/ Work, Protocol, Abstract and Kaplan/Perrone had to say about the industry, their role within it, and working with writers in general.

Enjoy. Hope it brings interesting discussion and debate.

EJ

Re: New interview with 5 managers on managing writers...

Thanks, EJ. Great information.

Comment

GR8 information EJ
      Thanks a bunch
      Echo

Comment

Good read. Thanks.

Comment

I think I like Engelson's approach more than the others.

Comment

EJ:

Thank you for bringing the article to our attention.

There is a great phrase one of them used that I am going to keep in the back of my mind when trying to convince others of my vision... Or keep their vision from ruining my scripts
            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Interesting and informative interview with these managers. Thanks for posting it.

As I was reading I found out how little I knew of a managers function. Being a noob, that's to be expected, I'm sure. And, am impressed at the job they do as described by those in the interview.

But, I do recall reading others here on DD mentioning that managers have limits to what they may do, such as not to encroach upon an agents domain. Agents are licensed, managers are not, State laws apply, etc.

Reading that interview it seemed to me they are taking stuff all the way forward and up to a sale. I'd think somewhere along the timeline, an agent would have to come in to the picture.

So, as a noob, would appreciate it if someone might take the time to enlighten us as to the bounds of their function as compared to those of an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliebro View Post
                Reading that interview it seemed to me they are taking stuff all the way forward and up to a sale. I'd think somewhere along the timeline, an agent would have to come in to the picture.
                I'm an outsider too, but I THINK what happens is that when the time comes to close a deal the manager - who cannot legally close the deal on behalf of his client - brings in an entertainment attorney.

Comment

This was interesting, but I wish we could get the same from a group of TV managers.
                  I'm always right.

Comment

Well. Goes to show how there's certainly more than one approach in the business.

Comment

Yep, I'd like to meet that Engelson guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post
                        I'm an outsider too, but I THINK what happens is that when the time comes to close a deal the manager - who cannot legally close the deal on behalf of his client - brings in an entertainment attorney.
                        Yep. And, actually, an agent is never really necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                          Yep. And, actually, an agent is never really necessary.
                          Actually, I do like this approach, as I'm not crazy about finding an agent. It's good that you've reinforced this one for me, SBScript.
                          Last edited by spacefarer; 02-01-2010, 09:10 AM.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

I would be careful about drawing too many conclusions about a manager's "approach" based on an interview like that. Some people view interviews as an opportunity to sell themselves and some people don't. The truth is that all five of those managers would be great reps for a new writer and all five would work hard to help develop your material and get you read.

That said, there are important stylistic and substantive differences between managers. The key is finding someone whose strengths match your needs. For example, several of those managers describe themselves as being involved with developing their clients material at a level that would make me uncomfortable (I understand running a concept past a manager to see if there's competition in the market etc, but nobody's going to be looking at my beat sheet). Similarly, some people like having a salesman as a manager while I prefer a little more nuance. It's a matter of preference

My point is that there's no right or wrong way. But if you want to have a successful long-term working relationship with a manager/agent, the key is to find out what you need and then find the right person. I know that at the beginning of your career the pressure is on finding ANY good rep, but even at that stage you should look at your own process. Because someday you'll have the luxury of choosing between managers/agents, and at that moment it will be very useful to know which questions to ask.

Comment

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the article. I really had hoped some of the newer folks to writing would catch this and think differently from the usual "I need an agent and only an agent" approach...

And Chakala, dude, just email TV folks and ask them if they'd like to take part in an interview. Worked for me! lol

EJ
                              Last edited by EJ Pennypacker; 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X