Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot Cast Yah or Nay?

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
    I look at the twisted controversy, #gamergate, where feminist pundits are decrying video games, let alone its producers and customers, as misogynistic. These pundits have received death threats, and that's wrong. What's also wrong is said pundits have conveniently ignored the presence of women in the video games industry and the gaming community itself. Why does a subculture associated with a HOBBY have to adhere to the expectations of a society that distrusts them in the first place?
    Here's the thing. If that's your position on gamergate, you're a misogynist. You may not like the term, you may not want to apply it to yourself, but you're saying everything that a misogynist says, so you may want to get used to it.

it's not a good look.

Comment

As a reboot, it's clearly a gimmick to make CASH by (maybe) satisfying certain demographics (i.e. - why assume that most women that were around for the original think this is a good idea?). To that end, write an original frickin' story for women already.

Now... as a SEQUEL, it would be pretty cool. Perhaps including Murray as some sort of mentor, for example.

Comment

Face it, Madbandit, you hate women. And puppies. And sunshine. You should never again voice your opinion in public, you hater of women. And sunshine. And puppies.

Comment

I don't know what you may assume of me, but misogynistic isn't one of my qualities. It's true I'm not keen with the idea of an all-female cast in the Ghostbusters reboot, but not because I don't like women, but it superficially fills out a quota.
          Really? What "quota" does an all-female cast fill, exactly? Has Hollywood instituted some new rule about ensuring a certain number of all-female casts that I don't know about? If so, what other examples of these movies are there?

Ivan Reitman was initially going to do a Ghostbusters sequel with the original cast, but Bill Murray wasn't interested. After Harold Ramis died, Reitman dropped the movie altogether. Then Paul Feig was tasked with the remake. I understand the annoyance about a classic being remade in general. What I don't understand is all the hullabaloo about it being remade with a female cast in particular. The Ghostbusters are not defined by their maleness. They are a group of smart, funny people who fight ghosts. That's it.

Paul Feig decided to put a spin on it that would highlight a bunch of smart, funny women. This is nothing earth-shattering; reboots tend to try something new to make things fresh. For those saying this should be a sequel, a continuation of the existing universe -- the reboot wouldn't have nearly as much conflict or be as interesting this way as it would as an origin story, where the Ghostbusters are encountering ghosts for the first time. As screenwriters, that should be pretty obvious to you.

I bet the same people who are all up in arms about this cast change did no complaining when "21 Jump Street", a popular 80s cop drama with a diverse main cast that included an Asian guy and a black woman was rebooted as a movie starring two white males. No quotas being filled there, right? No problems there, right? You wouldn't call that a "gimmick", would you?

These recasting furors are becoming so tiring. Most often they just boil down to people who are unhappy that things are no longer the way "they used to be". In the "good old days". You know, when pretty much every movie had a straight white male as the lead. But if there's no compelling reason in a reboot for keeping a movie that way, then what's the problem?

No, seriously -- go ahead. Tell me specifically what the problem is.

Guess what? You can't. The only problem you have is because of your preference for the roles being filled by men. There is no other logical explanation. And if that is the only problem you have with that, then -- guess what, guys? You pretty much fit the definition of a sexist!!
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

When the original film came out, were they a lot of fangirls in the public eye? No. There was no Internet, no social media, etc. I don't think Dan Ackroyd and the late Harold Ramis were intentionally (or unintentionally misogynistic when they wrote the film. Now, in this PC society, everybody's expected to welcome everybody. Pure utopia, right? The thing is not everything is meant for everyone, depending on sensibilities.

Hmmm... Dan Ackroyd and Harold Ramis wrote the script to star themselves and their friends. Paul Feig's biggest success in the past decade has been Bridesmaids. But since Feig is making the cast all women it's obvious a gimmick not the fact that he really enjoys working with funny women.

Comment

I look at the twisted controversy, #gamergate, where feminist pundits are decrying video games, let alone its producers and customers, as misogynistic. These pundits have received death threats, and that's wrong. What's also wrong is said pundits have conveniently ignored the presence of women in the video games industry and the gaming community itself. Why does a subculture associated with a HOBBY have to adhere to the expectations of a society that distrusts them in the first place?
              By this definition of #gamergate, it seems like you really don't understand what's happening there.

"Feminists" are crying for more accurate portrayals of women in video games. Like why do all the male characters get heavy armor and female characters get string bikinis when facing hordes of monsters? Why are the vast majority of female characters in video games kidnapped or fill the role as prizes for the protagonist to win. And why to females who go into video game stores get asked if they're "buying this for your boyfriend?"

Just so you know, Video Games are much bigger than male nerd's HOBBY. It's a huge industry. Takes in more revenue that movies. So why do women (51% of the population) have to put up with a whole subclass of entertainment where they're treated like 2nd class citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post

"Feminists" are crying for more accurate portrayals of women in video games. Like why do all the male characters get heavy armor and female characters get string bikinis when facing hordes of monsters?

Yeah! Why do the guys have to carry all those heavy weapons and fight in all that heavy, constricting armor, risking their lives to save damsels in distress? Let the women folk save their own.

Comment

(deep breath...)

I don't know what you may assume of me, but misogynistic isn't one of my qualities. It's true I'm not keen with the idea of an all-female cast in the Ghostbusters reboot, but not because I don't like women, but it superficially fills out a quota.
                  I don't think the issue is of your misogynism or not. I think you hold a misogynistic position, but I don't think you're some woman-hating monster. I'm sure I hold some positions that some women would find misogynistic and, I mean, Andrea Dworkin would basically think we're both as bad as Hitler.

That being said, I'd encourage you to examine your position because a huge part of the problems of sexism and racism happen in the minds of people who believe themselves to be fundamentally good people - and, in fact, in many ways, are fundamentally good people. None of what I'm saying here is to suggest that you're in some way not a fundamentally good and decent person. But I see a huge problem in your posts, and saying "I'm not a misogynist" is not only not a defense, but if it's something you use to stop yourself or others from examining the actual content of your positions, then it's a huge problem.

When the original film came out, were they a lot of fangirls in the public eye? No. There was no Internet, no social media, etc. I don't think Dan Ackroyd and the late Harold Ramis were intentionally (or unintentionally misogynistic when they wrote the film. Now, in this PC society, everybody's expected to welcome everybody. Pure utopia, right? The thing is not everything is meant for everyone, depending on sensibilities.
                  I agree with you that Ramis and Ackroyd weren't being intentionally misogynistic. In fact, I think they were probably writing the piece for the people they wanted to work with, had experience working with, and could get a movie made with. That is to say, because of the institutional sexism oh Hollywood, they had a bunch of experience working with male comics, and there weren't many (or any) female comic actors who they could make the movie with or that they had the same sort of experience working with.

In other words, any sexism on display from them was a reflection of institutional sexism. It's like George Washington owning slaves: there's no way anybody in his position, in his time, wouldn't have owned slaves, so it's more a reflection of societal racism than his own racism.

On the other hand, there's a contradiction in your post, again. You complain about an all-female Ghostbusters movie because it's filling out a quota - but you are okay with a single token woman. That's another form of quota: "okay, we've got one, move on."

Uh, no.

Anita Sarkeesian (the primary Gamergate target) has been pointing out the sexist ways women appear in video games, and calling for a more diverse representation of women in games. That's what she does. Breeana Wu (another big gamer gate target) is a game developer herself.

If you've actually been following this, you'd be aware of the ways in which some women in tech have talked about the sexism they face in trying to work in the gaming industry. And one of the things Gamergate has been really good at is attacking women who want to talk publicly about that sexism. To say that the critics are ignoring the women who work in the industry is just flat-out wrong.

I'd encourage you to do some more research before you keep talking about this one.

Furthermore, video games are not niche entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                    Yeah! Why do the guys have to carry all those heavy weapons and fight in all that heavy, constricting armor, risking their lives to save damsels in distress? Let the women folk save their own.
                    That's what they're asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                      Can't tell if you're being ironic or not here, since this is EXACTLY the point that feminist critics of video games are trying to make. Women should be able to be heroes in video games IN ADDITION to being damsels-in-distress and villains and, well, every other character type.

The problem is that far too often, women in video games are reduced to a couple of tropes, while men are are allowed to fill a wide variety of roles. Different types of male characters will have different types out outfits - some may be form-fitting, and some won't be. Whereas all the female character's will be wearing skintight pants or have boob windows in their armor, etc.

Comment

I doubt it would be the theme for a Ghostbusters re-boot, but someone here could make something out of it... what would the world look like if feminists could make everything as they wish? The old adage says be careful what you wish for. Equal rights, equal responsibilities. So, stop asking me to get that tight lid off that jar and remember to put the seat up when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                          By this definition of #gamergate, it seems like you really don't understand what's happening there.

"Feminists" are crying for more accurate portrayals of women in video games. Like why do all the male characters get heavy armor and female characters get string bikinis when facing hordes of monsters? Why are the vast majority of female characters in video games kidnapped or fill the role as prizes for the protagonist to win. And why to females who go into video game stores get asked if they're "buying this for your boyfriend?"

Just so you know, Video Games are much bigger than male nerd's HOBBY. It's a huge industry. Takes in more revenue that movies. So why do women (51% of the population) have to put up with a whole subclass of entertainment where they're treated like 2nd class citizens?
                          When I saw he described the megabillion $ gaming industry as a HOBBY...yeah, like making tiny houses out of toothpicks or collecting matchbooks...

And he suggested that organized death threats and online gang harassment is more or less balanced out by the inaccurate assumptions of those pesky "feminist pundits," well, thank God I wasn't home-schooled.

So Paul Feig seems to enjoy making films with funny women -- why do corn-cob pipe smoking, Old-Timey Joes need to get between a MAN and his HOBBY?

Comment

I have learned my lesson from the Bond thread and will not comment on the content of any posts other than to say that the gamergate discussion is off topic and let's refocus.

As far as the reboot cast goes, I have an irrational dislike of Kristin Wiig, so I'm not too excited about seeing her name, but I am fully onboard with the other three. I couldn't imagine Melissa McCarthy NOT being in it.

Comment

I hope mad realizes my post nothing but sarcasm. Got nothing but love for the guy.

PS. Kristin Wiig rules. I put her and Tina Fey on a golden pedestal.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
                                I hope mad realizes my post nothing but sarcasm. Got nothing but love for the guy.

PS. Kristin Wiig rules. I put her and Tina Fey on a golden pedestal.
                                I fully acknowledge my dislike is irrational! I'm sure she's a lovely person and is certainly very talented.

Comment

Working...
                                X